Internet voting system is much better than paper ballots. It is also known as computerized voting that is better form of casting ballots. It permits for fairer and quicker voting. It is much safe and takes very little time for voting process. Internet voting is part of electronic voting. The meaning of internet voting is the casting of a safe and secret electronic ballot that is forwarded to election official through the internet. It has various benefits over traditional precinct-based voting or mail voting. With internet voting, voters can cast their vote online usually through web interface service and save lots of time. Right now, internet voting is becoming helpful for labor, civic and business organizations to select their governing bodies, officers and Board members as well as helpful for other alternate elections.
Two types of voting methods are available for internet voting. The first method is internet voting at a traditional polling site, in which computer voting machines are attached to the internet and election officers verify voters before votes are cast. The second method of internet voting is technically more superior, which cast votes over the internet from remote locations with the help of computer security and electronic authentication technologies. It uses numerous technologies to make sure verification, secrecy and security. To verify the identity of the voter and provide data integrity, it adds encryption and electronic signature. It also uses some other technologies like firewalls, intrusion detection systems and anti virus programs to prevent illegal hacker access to computer systems used in the election process.
Benefits of Internet Voting Technology:
- Internet voting system increases voter participation, especially young people who don’t like to give vote, but they feel comfortable with internet.
- Internet voting system eliminates the time of ballots counting and also remove factor of human error. Because of the direct result, the government would not require to employ many workers at the time of elections. With this system, voters select the candidates of his or her choice by using a simple point and click method.
- It also lowers the cost of participation for some special populations including minority groups, disabled people and frequent travelers. It removes long line-ups at polling stations and better addresses convenience issues for person with disabilities, person working in military and living out of the country, person suffering from illness, person gone on personal travel as well as group of citizens like single parents who may have difficultly to visit a traditional polling station.
- Internet voting gives more precise results as well as delivers faster official vote tabulation procedure. The election results by internet voting are more accurate compared to other types of machine counting like punching cards.
- Compared to traditional paper ballots, Internet voting is less expensive to activate and execute. Traditional paper ballots needs setting up and staffing polls, while Internet voting works on computer without employing any staff.
- It also gives technical solution to different types of frequent voter errors. Internet voting could be set up thus the voter could not ballot for two candidates for same workplace. With the internet voting system, you can change vote before submitting. It also allows voters to modify before the Election Day deadline.
- By decreasing or eliminating ballot errors and making best knowledgeable electors, it improves the overall quality of ballots cast. The legal authorities can also take benefit of special buttons for protest votes that is available in some internet voting programs.