Www.mcdpropertytax.in is the official website of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi to file property tax return. Property tax is an ad valorem tax (a tax based on the value of real estate or personal property) that an owner is required to pay on the value of the property being taxed. In general, Property tax means “tax imposed by municipalities upon owners of real property within their jurisdiction based on the value of such property.” To upkeep the basic civic services in the city, Property tax is levied on the fixed assets which is the principal source of revenue of urban local bodies/local municipal authorities.
The Govt. of India recommends Unit Area System out of 3 ways (Annual Rental Value, Capital Value System, and Unit Area System) for Municipal Corporation of Delhi. Through the use of Information Technology, Property Tax Division of MCD has commenced an innovative, broad based approach of Public-Private Partnership (PPP model), MCD wishes to achieve the vision and objectives to provide transparent, accountable and efficient citizen-centric services to the citizens of Delhi.
Header of the official website of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi
You will see ‘Generate Challan’, ‘Pay Online’, ‘Print’, ‘Cancel’, ‘Back’ options, click on ‘Generate Challan’ option, if you want to pay your return through Cash / Cheque / DD or you want to pay online then click on ‘Pay Online’ option. In ‘Pay Online’ option, you will get two options, Itz cash and Axis Bank, select one of them and press ‘Submit’ button.
How to calculate tax with Property Tax Calculation?
- For Petrol Bunks/CNG Stations/Storage Tanks: (Length X Width X Height of Tank) / 3 i.e. 1/3rd of Tank Volume
- For Towers: Covered Area on Base X Height of Tower
- For Hoardings: Area On the ground (between the polls) X Board Area
Table showing Property tax Rates:
|SI No||Property Use||Factor||Colony Caregories & Tax Rates (%)||Status|
|1||Air Conditioned Gyms||4||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||A|
|5||Clubs With Swimming Pools||4||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||A|
|6||Coaching Centres having more than 50 students||4||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||A|
|7||Coaching Centres having upto 50 students||4||15||15||12||12||12||10||10||10||A|
|13||Educational Institutes – Fees below Rs.600||1||15||15||12||12||12||10||10||10||A|
|14||Educational Institutes – Fees between Rs.600 and Rs. 1200||2||15||15||12||12||12||10||10||10||A|
|15||Educational Institutes – others||3||15||15||12||12||12||10||10||10||A|
|16||Farmhouse – Non Residential||4||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||A|
|17||Farmhouse – Residential||1||15||15||15||15||15||15||15||15||A|
|19||Govt Schools Others||3||15||15||12||12||12||10||10||10||A|
|20||Govt. Company and Statutory Corporation Properties – Airport Authority of India||4||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||20||A|
For more Property tax rates, click here.
Advantages/benefits to MCD by implementing e-Property:
- Managing and securing the e-PTRs is very simple at a negligible cost and efforts.
- Endless queues, confusing processes and wastage of valuable time and money in order to conduct a simple transaction would be a by gone story. e-Property has made the way for establishing many number of virtual property tax counters dynamically (every PC on internet) in addition to 3rd party counters which led to curbing of huge efforts and expenditure incurred on administering the huge crowds especially in peak seasons.
- The transparency and access to information on the net has reduced and/or eliminated the role of middle-men/touts.
- Monitoring of tax receipts and dues are at finger tip.
- Addressing the Revenue losses – Because of manual calculation, there are chances for inaccurate tax assessment which might lead to heavy revenue loss since manual verification of each PTR file is very cumbersome and tedious and requires a lot of man power.
Advantages/benefits to Tax-Payer by implementing e-Property:
- PTRs can be filed any time and any where
- Tax calculations are explained in detailed.
- Property tax challan can be printed online.
- Instant receipt generation and printing facility has facilitates tax payers to print the tax receipt online any time.
- The role of touts is drastically reduced and virtually eliminated even at peak seasons.
- Saving of money as well as time – The tax-payers can avoid the trek to the concerned offices and they can quickly and simply conduct their business (filing their property tax returns and paying tax) over the Net.
- Tax payers can monitor their property tax record online at any time.
- Simplified one page form which is self explanatory and will take approximately 2-3 mins to file a PTR
- Facilitated with various tax payments options such as Credit Card, ITZ Cash and Cash, Cheque, DD at authorized bank and CSB counters.
- Established 800 ITZ Cash counters (additional facility to the tax payers) across the Delhi city. Tax payers can file their PTRs in any ITZ Cash counters and pay tax there itself. All modes of tax payment are accepted here.
- Will be in position to identify tax defaulters which may lead to build the database with the properties those are not in the tax base so far. This leads to increase in tax base.
- The entire process, which as top-down till yesterday – with the citizen at the receiving end – has been restructured bottom-up with citizen-centric processes with the help of technology.
For more information, visit www.mcdpropertytax.in.