Google will appear now on your TV according to reports. Google has been working for the last few months trying to develop Google TV. Google and its partners Sony and Intel are planning to create the next generation of Internet TV sets. Google plans that Android operating system for smartphones will be used in Google TV platform. According to the reports, TV technology will run on Intel’s Atom chips and a new version of its Chrome browser for the project will be developed by Google. Searching the Internet via a television set, this concept is scarcely a new one.
The New York Times reports said, “Google will open the TV platform to Android developers as part of the initiative, with a software developer’s kit. The company hopes the move will spur the same outpouring of creativity that consumers have seen in applications for cellphones.”MIPS Technologies and its partners have also done the work on Android for use in such devices. The Google TV will be based on OS the Android, and it can run several other web applications like Twitter directly devoid of the enclosure of PC. Google plans to create a new application of software Devs to use on their Google TV.
“Microsoft and Apple are also working on their operating systems for TV,” said competitors. Earlier this month, TiVo also announced, “subscribers be able to pull Internet content, movies and music onto their televisions more easily with a new Premiere service.”
Bilton develops the toolkits that are predictable to be shipped to internet programmers in a few months, and new applications that use the software could get completed on summer. For Google TV, peripherals have been creating mice, Keyboards, controllers, webcams, games and other PC system devices. Google has also begun to test their Google TV with the set top box technology with dish network.
The Gabriel Consulting Group analyst Dan Olds said, “This is an interesting alignment of some serious industry powerhouses,” and “With this group, they have a lot of options to bring about a TV play, ranging from set-top boxes, to integrated TV processors, along with content from Google. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.” He added, “Google, Intel and Sony could be the right mix of companies to make that happen.”
When web TV finally reach mainstream these are the following expectations:
- Viewers will only need the remote to click on buttons called widgets or apps to start applications pre-loaded on their TV. Some widgets available now (mostly for Yahoo) make it possible to call up the latest new headlines, weather, stock prices, sport scores and more while watching TV.
- No mouse or keyboard will be required since you do not have full access to the Internet. Full access to Internet is not necessary for Smart TV to work.
- Viewers will have instant access to posting on popular social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Web-based phone such as Skype and videoconference like you saw in the movie “Back The Future Part II” where Marty being fired by his boss will be available on your TV.
- Viewers will be able to watch popular video from sites such Youtube, Blip.tv, and SingingFool. They will be able to watch recorded popular TV shows such CSI and As the World Turns on demand.
- Check your e-mail and send e-mail directly from your TV.