IncomeTaxIndia pan card – www.incometaxindia.gov.in pan status & verification
PAN stands for Permanent Account Number, which is ten-digit alphanumeric number. Income Tax Department issues PAN in the form of a laminated card. AABPS1205E is a typical PAN. www.incometaxindia.gov.in is the official site of IncomeTaxIndia. The information of IncomeTaxIndia pan card at www.incometaxindia.gov.in pan status & verification is provided below.
It is compulsory to quote PAN on return of income, all correspondence with any income tax authority and on challans for any payments due to Income Tax Department. It is also compulsory to mention PAN for getting a cellular telephone connection or telephone. Quote PAN is compulsory in all documents pertaining to financial transactions informed from time-to-time by the Central Board of Direct Taxes. When you are creating a time deposit exceeding Rs. 50,000/- with a Bank or Post Office or depositing cash of Rs. 50,000/- or more in a Bank, PAN has to be mentioned first.
On the website of the Income Tax department, facility for verifying PAN is available. But remember that getting or possessing more than one PAN is against the law. Only on Form 49A, PAN application should be made. From the website of Income Tax department or UTIISL or NSDLA, PAN application can be downloaded. An application for PAN is made in Form 49A obtained from anywhere and any source other than IT PAN Service Centers or TIN Facilitation Centers. You can get Pan Card Application Form at http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/archive/form49ae.pdf.
With the application for Form 49A, Information must be submitted is as follows:
- Individual applicants will have to affix one recent, coloured photograph (Stamp Size: 3.5 cms x 2.5 cms) on Form 49A.
- Any one document listed in Rule 114 must be supplied as proof of ‘Identity’ and ‘Address’.
- Designation and code of the concerned Assessing Officer of Income Tax department will have to be mentioned in Form 49A.
Incomplete form will not be received by IT PAN Service Centers or TIN Facilitation Centers but these centers will assist applicants to correctly fill up form 49A. A photograph is compulsory only in case of ‘Individual‘ applicants.
If an application for allotment of PAN is submitted through Internet and payment made through a ‘nominated‘ credit card, then PAN is allotted on priority and communicated through email. Left Hand Thumb impression of the applicant should be affixed on Form 49A is the procedure for applicants who cannot sign. Only father’s name is required to be filled in the PAN application for female (including married/divorced/widow) candidate. Application for PAN will be made by the Representative Assessor in the case of a non-resident, a minor, lunatic, idiot, and court of wards and such other persons.
UTIISL and NSDL have been endorsed to collect Rs.85 + Service Tax as applicable, per PAN application and this includes cost of a tamper proof PAN card. At IT PAN Service Center or the TIN Facilitation Center, this amount will have to be paid in cash. If you had applied to the department but do not know about your PAN then contact the Aaykar Sampark Kendra (ASK) at 0124-2438000 (or 95124-2438000 from NCR) or visit the www.incometaxindia.gov.in and go to ‘know your PAN’ at https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/knowpan.do.
PAN must have those people:
- All existing assesses or taxpayers or persons who are required to furnish a return of income, even on behalf of others, must obtain PAN
- Any person, who intends to enter into financial transaction where quoting PAN is mandatory, must also obtain PAN.
- The Assessing Officer may allot PAN to any person either on his own or on a specific request from such person.
The following categories of persons are not required to obtain or quote PAN:
- Persons having only agricultural income and do not have any taxable income. Such persons will file a declaration (Form 61) in respect of transactions where quoting of PAN is mandatory
- Central Government, State Governments and Consular Offices in transactions in which they are the payers
All inquiries should be addressed to:
The Vice President
IT PAN Processing Centre,
UTI Investor Services Ltd
Plot No. 3, Sector – 11
Navi Mumbai-400 614
Tel No. 022-27561690
Fax No. 022-27561706
The Vice President
Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL
4th Floor, Trade World, A Wing
Kamala Mills Compound,
S. B. Marg, Lower Parel,
Tel No. 022-2499 4650
Fax No. 022-2495 0664